Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

Most travellers need a visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly to, or transit through, a Canadian airport.ETA is an entry requirement for visa-exempt foreign nationals travelling to Canada by air. An eTA is electronically linked to a traveller’s passport and is  valid for up to five years or until the passport expires, whichever comes first. If you obtain a new passport, you need to get a new eTA.With a valid eTA, you can travel to Canada as often as you want for short stays (normally for up to six months at a time).

Who needs an eTA to travel to Canada?

There are four types of travellers:

  1. Travellers who need an eTA:
    1. Visa-exempt foreign nationals need an eTA to fly to or transit through a Canadian airport.  eTA is not required when arriving by car, bus, train or boat.
    2. Lawful permanent residents of the U.S. need an eTA to fly to or transit through a Canadian airport. They must present a valid Green Card and a valid passport at check-in.
  2. Travellers who may be eligible to apply for an eTA:
    1. Citizens from select visa-required countries may be eligible to apply for an eTA, instead of a visa, to travel to Canada by air. However, these travellers need a visitor visa when arriving by car, bus, train, or boat, including a cruise ship.
  3. Travellers who cannot apply for an eTA and need to carry other identification:
    1. Canadian citizens, including dual citizens, need a valid Canadian passport. American-Canadians can travel with a valid Canadian or U.S. passport.
    2. Canadian permanent residents need a valid permanent resident card or permanent resident travel document.
      1. Important – former residents of Canada: Permanent resident (PR) status does not expire. If you once lived in Canada many years ago, you could still have PR statusLearn more to avoid travel delays.
    3. Visa-required including alien’s passport holders and stateless individuals.
  4.  Travellers who are exempt from the eTA requirement. For example:
    1. U.S. citizens are exempt from the eTA requirement and must carry proper identification such as a valid U.S. passport.
    2. See the complete list of eTA exceptions.

Apply for an eTA

Applying for an eTA is a simple online process.  Most applicants get their eTA approval (via an email) within minutes. However, some requests can take several days to process if you’re asked to submit supporting documents.

An eTA costs CAD $7. You can only apply and pay for one person at a time.

To complete the form, you will need your passport, a credit or debit card, and an email address. You must also answer a few questions.

Apply for your eTA online: