Study Permit Overview

Most international students require a Study Permit to study in Canada.A study permit is a document  that permits foreign nationals  to study in  designated learning institutions  (DLI) in Canada The study permit is not a visa. It doesn’t let you enter Canada. You may also need a visitor visa or an electronic travel authorization to gain entry in Canada.. A study permit is usually valid for the length of your study program, plus an extra 90 days. The 90 days let you prepare to leave Canada or apply to extend your stay. Before you apply to extend your study permit, make sure your school is on the list of Designated learning Institutions (DLI) . Each province has its own list of DLI. Foreign students who have applied for and been accepted into a Designated Learning Institution then may apply for a Canada Student Visa in order to come to Canada and complete the specific program for which they have been accepted. You must have received an acceptance letter from the designated institution which you plan to attend before you submit your application for a Canada student visa. If your school is no longer on the DLI list, you can keep studying until your current permit expires. When you need to extend your study permit, you’ll need to enroll at a DLI.

Some other rules and conditions also effect your stay as a student .

1. If you’re taking some prerequisite courses required by DLI

If your Institute of admission asks you to take some course before they accept you into the main program , your study permit will be valid for the length of those course or courses, plus 1 year. When you get accepted into the main program, you must then again apply for extension of your stay as a student.

2. If you’ll finish your studies after your study permit expires

If you don’t finish your courses before the date on your study permit, you must apply for extension of your study permit. If you don’t, you’ll need to stop studying and leave Canada.

3. If you finish your studies before your study permit expires

If you finish your studies early, your permit will stop being valid 90 days after you complete your studies, no matter what day is printed on the study permit. Your studies are deemed complete  on the date your school first notifies you by completion letter, transcript, degree or diploma.
You must provide proof of the date your school notifies you, or the date you get your degree, diploma or certificate.

Going back home while studying.

If you leave Canada during your studies, you may need to show proof of your enrolment in your institution when you return to Canada.If you have a visitor visa or an electronic travel authorization (eTA), it must still be valid when you return to Canada.

Eligibility Criteria

For studying in Canada you must fulfil the following conditions :-

  • You must be enrolled at a designated Learning Institution(DLI)
  • You must prove you have enough money to pay for your:
    • tuition fees
    • living expenses for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada and
    • return transportation for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada
  • You must obey the law, have no criminal record and get a Police clearance Certificate (if needed)
  • You must be in good health and clear a Medical exam (if required)
  • You must prove to an officer that you will leave Canada when your study permit expires

The applicant may also be asked to submit the following documents:

  • Passport for the applicant and every family member included on the application;
  • Two passport photos for the applicant and each family member included on the application, with the full name and date of birth written on the back;
  • Photocopy of marriage certificate, if applicable; and,
  • Any further documents required by specific visa offices.

Your responsibilities while you study and stay in Canada

While studying in Canada you must:

  • make progress towards completing your program
  • respect any conditions listed on your study permit
  • stop studying if you no longer meet the requirements and
  • leave Canada when your permit expires

Depending on your case, there may be conditions on your study permit such as:

  • if you’re allowed to work in Canada
  • if you’re allowed to travel within Canada
  • the date you must stop studying

2. Work while study on- or off-campus

If you have a study permit and you’re registered as a full-time student at a DLI, you are eligible to work on-campus or off-campus. If so, your study permit will include a condition that says you’re allowed to work while studying.If you don’t have a study permit, you can’t work while you’re studying in Canada. In this case, you need to apply for a work permit.

You do not require a study permit to go to school in Canada if:

  • You wish to study in a short-term course or program:
    • You do not need a study permit if you plan to take a course or program in Canada that lasts six months or less. You must complete the course or program within the period authorized for your stay in Canada.
  • You are a family member of a Foreign representatives to Canada:
    • If you are a family member or staff member of a foreign representative to Canada accredited by Global Affairs Canada (GAC), you may not need a permit to study in Canada. You should contact your embassy in Canada. Your embassy can contact the Office of Protocol at GAC to find out whether you need a study permit.
  • You are a family member of foreign armed forces:
    • If you are a member of a foreign armed force under the Visiting Forces Act, you do not need a permit to study in Canada. If your family members, including minor children, want to study in Canada, they must meet the requirements.
  • You are a foreign national who is a  Registered Indian in Canada:
    • If you are a citizen of another country who has Registered Indian status in Canada, you do not need a permit to study in Canada.