Working While Studying

The best part of the decision to study in Canada is that graduates have access to a Post-Graduation Work Permit on completion of their studies in Canada. Post-Graduation Work Permits allow certain individuals who have studied in Canada to stay and work under an open work permit for up to three years, giving them an opportunity to gain valuable Canadian work experience that may help them in their future immigration  process. A student may be eligible to work in Canada while studying, if the study permit includes a condition that says the student can work on or off campus. You must also meet all the other requirements. You can only start working in Canada when you start your study program. One can’t work before the start of studies. Mostly international students in Canada can work for up to 20 hours per week, and full time  during  college breaks, without a work permit.On the completion of  their studies in an eligible program , international graduates can apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit, which allows them to work in Canada. You can work On-Campus and Off-Campus.

As an international student in Canada . you can work , if your study permit lists a condition that says you’re allowed to work on- or off-campus.One can work on your school campus, without a work permit, if :

  • You are a full-time post-secondary student at a:
    • public post-secondary school, such as a college or university.
    • private college-level school in Quebec that operates under the same rules as public schools, and is at least 50% funded by government grants, or
    • Canadian private school that can legally award degrees under provincial law
  • You have a valid study permit, and
  • You have a Social Insurance Number (SIN).

One must stop working on-campus:

  • on the day your full-time study ends.
  • when your study permit expires.
  • if you’re switching schools and aren’t currently studying

A student can return to work only once you’re back to studying and you meet all the requirements to work on-campus. “On-campus” means you can work at all the buildings on your school campus. One can  work at a library, hospital or research facility associated with your school, even if they’re outside the campus where you study. An “on-campus” employer can be:

  • The school/college/University where you study.
  • Any faculty member
  • Any student organization
  • Or yourself, if you run a business that is located on-campus.
  • Any private contractor that provides on-campus services .