Post-Graduation Work Permits for International Students In Canada

Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) operates a Post-Graduate Work Permit Program under which, international graduates may obtain an open work permit  for a maximum period of up to three    years. This allows them to work for any Canadian employer in any industry without the requirement of a Canadian job offer at the time of applying. International students can only receive one Post-Graduation Work Permit from IRCC.

Eligibility Reuirements For Getting PGWP

For obtaining a Post-Graduation Work Permit, international students must have:

  • Completed studies in Canada in an academic, vocational or professional training program that is at least eight months long and leading to a degree , diploma or certificate from an eligible Designated Learning Institution (DLI ).. .
  • Should have held full-time student status in Canada during every academic session of the program or programs of study completed and included as part of their post-graduation work permit application;
  • Received a transcript and an official letter from the School/College confirming that the applicant has met the requirements to complete their program of study;

The deadline to apply for the Post-Graduation Work Permit is 180 days (six months) after obtaining a transcript and an official letter from the eligible DLI confirming that the requirements to complete the program of study have been met.  ICRC may request additional documents, two important documents required at the time of applying are a letter confirming the completion of the program of study and an official transcript by their DLI.

The following International students are ineligible to apply :-

  • Those who have previously been issued a post-graduation work permit
  • Those who received funding from Global Affairs Canada (GAC)
  • Those who participated in the Government of Canada Awards Program funded by GAC
  • Those who obtained the Equal Opportunity Scholarship, Canada–Chile
  • Those who participated in the Canada–China Scholars’ Exchange Program
  • Those who participated in the Organization of American States Fellowships Program
  • Those who completed the majority of the credits toward the completion of their program of study by distance learning
  • Those who completed a program of study delivered by a non-Canadian institution located in Canada, regardless of the length of their stay in Canada.