Investor, Entrepreneurs & Self employed
The main goal of Canada’s business immigration programs is to attract those individuals with proven business experience who can help support the development of a strong and sustainable Canadian economy. Applicants will have to demonstrate that they have had business success in the past and that they can replicate that success in Canada while adapting to any differences Canada may have compared to your country of nationality. The investors, entrepreneurs and self-employed applicants can obtain permanent residency in Canada if they fulfill certain criteria. The Canadian Government’s aim is to boost the growth of its economy and make Canada investor friendly. This program focuses on developing foreign markets and commercial opportunities by welcoming the individuals who are interested in participating and who possess certain requirements.
Such applicants can apply for Canada Business Immigration Program under Investor program, self employed program or Entrepreneurs program.
Quebec Investor Program
The Quebec Immigrant Investor Program (QIIP) allows business people to immigrate to Canada by investing CAD $1.2 million with Quebec Government. This money is invested by the Quebec Government and after completion of five years the total amount is returned to the investor. There is no interest paid on this amount.
To be eligible for the Investor Program, you must:
- Have, alone or with your accompanying spouse or de facto spouse, legally acquired net assets of at least C$2,000,000, excluding any amounts received by donation less than six months before your application is submitted
- Have management experience
- For at least two years in the five years preceding the application for a selection certificate, of duties related to the planning, management and control of financial, human or material resources under your authority. This does not include experience acquired in an apprenticeship, training or specialization leading to a diploma
- Intend to settle in Québec
- Sign an investment agreement with a financial intermediary (broker or trust company) authorized to participate in the Investor Program
- Make a five-year term investment of C$1,200,000 with Investissement Québec – Immigrants Investisseurs Inc.
The Self-Employed Persons Program is for self employed applicants who have relevant experience in cultural activities, athletics or farm management.
If you want to apply under this program then you must interested in this program, you must:
- have relevant experience in cultural activities or athletics and
- be willing and able to make a significant contribution to the cultural or athletic life of Canada
To apply under this category you must:
- have experience in cultural activities or athletics at a world-class level or
been a self-employed person in cultural activities or athletics
- be willing and able to be self-employed in Canada
For this category the previous experience for applicants must be:
- for cultural activities:
- 2 one-year periods being self-employed in cultural activities, or
- 2 one-year periods participating at a world-class level in cultural activities, or
- a combination of a one-year period described in (a), and a one-year period described in (b)
- for athletics:
- 2 one-year periods being self-employed in athletics, or
- 2 one-year periods participating at a world class level in athletics, or
- a combination of a one-year period described in (a) above, and a one-year period described in (b) above
You application will be assessed on the following factors:
- language abilities
- Financial ability
It is a business immigration program that does not require any minimum investment and you don’t have to show any minimum net worth.
If you have an good business idea then you can immigrate to Canada under this category.
There are four requirements for this program that you must:
- Obtain a Commitment Certificate or Letter of Support from a designated entity;
- Have sufficient settlement funds in your possession;
- Have minimum one year of post-secondary education;
- Demonstrate sufficient proficiency in English or French through standard testing (equal to Canadian Language Benchmark level 5).
How to Start?
You need a detailed business plan showing your Venture plans and what will you do to make that venture successful. You will have to send this business plan to more than 50 designated Canadian entities, including venture capital funds, angel investor groups and Canadian business incubator programs.
In order to qualify for this category you will have to secure minimum of $75,000 from angel investors or $200,000 from venture capital funds. If a business incubator program supports your start-up then you don’t have to secure any funding.
After you have obtained the support of designated entities, they are required to issue a letter of support to you and submit a commitment letter to the authorities. You must submit the letter of support from a Canadian entity to IRCC.
Bring enough money to settle
The Government of Canada does not give financial support to new start-up visa immigrants.
When you apply, you’ll need to give proof that you have the money to support yourself and your dependants after you arrive in Canada. You can’t borrow this money from another person.
The amount you need depends on the size of your family. We update these amounts every year.
(in Canadian dollars)
|For each additional family member||$3,414|
British Columbia Provincial Nominee Program (BC PNP) operates on the following business streams:
- Entrepreneur Immigration
- Entrepreneur Immigration – Regional Pilot
BC PNP Entrepreneur Immigration Stream
- You are required to establish an eligible new business or purchase and improve an existing business in B.C.
- Minimum net worth of CAD $600,000 is required.
- Minimum Investment of CAD $200,000 or CAD$400,000 if proposing a key staff member, is required to establish a new business or buy an existing business.
- Create at least one new full-time, permanent job for a Canadian citizen or permanent resident with the proposed business
- Business and/or management experience is required. 3 + years of business ownership or management experience OR 4 + years of senior management experience OR 1+ year of business ownership & management experience and 2+ years of senior management experience within the last 10 years.
- Must be eligible for legal immigration status in Canada.
- Required to pay $300 registration fee, $3,500 application fee and $1,000 fee for each key staff application.
- No deposit is required
- Have to attend the interview if requested by BC PNP
- Exploratory visit to BC is highly recommended.
- 2-year work period before Letter of Acceptance to apply for Permanent Residence (PR); PR is contingent on implementation of the business plan
BC PNP Entrepreneur Immigration Stream – Regional Pilot
The British Columbia Entrepreneur Immigration – Regional Pilot was launched on 14th March 2019 and the program aims to attract entrepreneur to rural communities of the province.
- Population of less than 75,000.
- Located beyond 30km from a municipality of more than 75,000 population.
- Demonstrated capacity to support foreign entrepreneurs with network of settlement and business support agencies.
- Community representatives must complete the Immigration and pilot-specific training.
- You must agree to start a business and settle in a regional community of British Columbia.
- Complete an exploratory visit.
- Minimum investment of of $100,000 is required.
- Minimum personal net worth of $300,000 is required.
- You must own a minimum of 51 per cent ownership.
- You must create at least one new permanent, fulltime job for a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
- Minimum 12-month work permit period before nomination is required and PR is contingent on implementation of business planl
- More than 3 years of business ownership or management experience OR more than 4 years of senior management experience OR more than one year of business ownership & management experience and more than two years of senior management experience within the last 10 years.
Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee Program (SINP) – Entrepreneur Stream
- Submit Expression of interest (EOI) to the SINP
- Invitation to submit application
- Business establisment
The expression of interest must meet the following minimum entry criteria:
- Minimum net worth of $500,000 is required.
- Minimum of three years of entrepreneurial or management experience in the past 10 years is required.
- Minimum investment Investment of $300,000 in Regina or Saskatoon, or $200,000 is any other Saskatchewan area is required.
- Business Plan is required.
- You must own at least one third ownership of a company in Saskatchewan, unless the total investment made by you is $1 million CAD or higher.
- You must Commit to be involved in day-to-day management and direction of the business.
- Will have to sign a performance agreement and If you are establishing a new business in Regina or Saskatoon then you must create two employment opportunities for Canadians or permanent residents who don’t have any relation with you.
- Exploratory visit is required for business succession, joint ventures, and regional business opportunities
- No deposit is required.
- You will receive a 2 years work permit and PR will be contingent upon meeting all the program requirements.