Renew or change your Study Permit

While you study in Canada, it may be necessary to renew or extend your study permit. Maintaining legal status in Canada throughout this process is very important and necessary. One must never exceed the duration of your authorized stay in Canada without first applying for a change in status. One must also  always comply with any conditions, such as restrictions on the nature of work, maximum hours you can work per week, how long you can study, etc

Students may need to renew or change during the duration of their studies in Canada. If a student at a post-secondary institution wishes to change institution, study program, or level of study he or she does not need to apply for a new study permit. However, he or she is required to update IRCC regarding the change of institutions. A student may move from Bachelor level to Master’s level, or change course subjects, or from a college to a university, without applying for a new study permit. The student does not need to apply for a change to the condition of the study permit. A student may study in Canada as long as the study permit is valid.

If any international student plans to move from elementary school to high school, or from high school to a post-secondary institution, he or she is required to apply for a change in the conditions of the study permit. The application for change must be submitted to the IRCC Case Processing Centre in Vegreville, Alberta.

If a student does not apply for a renewal of his or her current status or a change in status before the expiry of the current status , the student will need to leave Canada before submitting an application to return.

If a student want to extend the stay in Canada as a student, he or she must complete the an application to do so.  Check the expiry date on your study permit, and make sure to apply before that date. One should apply for renewal at least 30 days before the current permit expires. The student  may apply to restore the status as a student within 90 days of losing it. You may only apply if you have continued to meet the requirements under which you were allowed to enter and stay in Canada and you have met all the conditions specifically mentioned on your permit.

​ A student can stay in Canada until a decision is made on the application but you are not allowed to study until your status has been restored.There is no guarantee that your application to restore your status will be accepted. On your application, you must provide full details of all the facts and circumstances that caused you to lose your status.